Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Books

With working at the library I get to browse through hundreds of books almost every day, sometimes making me never wanting to see one again and sometimes making me wish I could read them all!

I love finding a book that makes me want sit for hours reading it and that I can really get into the characters and even when I put it down I'm thinking about it and wondering what will happen! Those books are few, but I found one that I just finished that had all these things! It is called "The Time Traveler's Wife". The book is being made into a movie, which is how I found out about the book, I saw the trailer and decided I really wanted to see the movie but when I found out it was a book I decided I wouldn't watch it until I had read the book! Let me tell you I'm glad I did! There is something about books that are made into movie, while sometimes the movie captures enough of the heart to make it enjoyable to watch in most cases the book is always better than the movie!

Take Ella Enchanted for example, I have read the book at least five times, LOVE the book! It's sort of a retelling of the Cinderella story but with new twists, the book sucks you into the life of Ella who is under a fairy's "gift" , which is more like a curse, of obience. Which is bothersome but not terrible until she falls in love with the prince and is torn between loving him or bringing danger to the one she loves...with a curse like ella's if any enemies found out about it she could be ordered to kill her beloved and not be able to say no. Ok you can see that I love this book, well I was thrilled when the movie was released but greatly disappionted when I actually saw it. So much was taken out and the whole heart and courage of the characters were lost in Hollywoods take of this cherished story.

So you see why I wanted to read the Time Travelers wife before the movie, I wanted to see what the story was about, why they wanted to make a movie about it...I didn't want to miss out on a story that could be great by watching a watered down version of it. So I read the book, and loved it! Now I have high hopes for the movie, I'm hoping this is an exception to the rule. Needless to say I will be at the theatre ready to defend the book and hopefully enjoy a movie that captures everything I loved about the book.

If you need a good summer read than please take my advice and read "The Time Traveler's Wife". It was written very well and kept my attention, which is hard to do. And if you get done and didn't love it, read "Ella Enchanted" I haven't found someone who didn't love that book, its a definite favorite!


Until next time,
The Love Birds

No comments:

Post a Comment